Monday, February 6, 2012

More freelance experience

I think you'll find this tip quite handy if you ever need to download all of the emails from a GMAIL inbox.

Don't use POP3, use IMAP!!
Google has a problem with their POP3, it will only let you access part of your entire messages!
It simply doesn't handle 1000 messages like IMAP does, oh and IMAP has great SSL.

It's easy to use in C#, I used the ActiveUp mail library and provided a nice GUI for my client so he could do his parsing.


As you might have guessed it inserts the parsed data into an excel spreadsheet for the client.

8 comments:

  1. Interesting... Usually google is top-tier.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to know, couldn't thank you more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gmail disable(d?) POP3 by default - now we know why :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. IMAP looks good, I'll have a look at it as I could do with downloading my emails; thank you for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey this blog looks really interesting, im an aspiring programmer myself not very advanced though need to learn alot, i will definatly be following this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is the reason why Google disables POP3 by default. IMAP FTW! xD

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post! Thanks for the info!

    http://memedoctor.blogspot.com/
    https://twitter.com/#!/MemeDoctor

    ReplyDelete